Monday, November 5, 2007

Natural High

Due to a late application and meeting with my school advisor, I was registering for my Fall semester classes the week before school started. I was getting pretty frustrated because, of course, I couldn't find any open classes that I wanted to take (if any open classes at all). I really wanted to do a Yoga Class, but was struggling to find one. I finally stumbled across a Kundalini Yoga Class that worked with my schedule. I signed up for it, not fully understanding what it was. I just knew it focused on breathing techniques and meditation.

My first day of class I stood around with all my classmates as we waited for my teacher. It was about 10 after when my teacher showed up. She is about my height, if not shorter, dressed in all white - including her white turban wrapped around her head which allowed little tuffs of gray hair to sneak out. Around her neck she adorned a long necklace with a crystal attached to the end which she will hold onto from time to time. Along with her boom box, CD case, and bag containing books and papers, she had a great big smile attached to her. She just had this most wonderful spirit about her.

As the semester has moved along, I have come to truly love that class. It's amazing not only the physical demand it takes from you, but the mental and spiritual demands also. The best thing about it all, is no matter what you put into yoga, it will give 100 times back to you. I just absolutely love it.


Tonight we were learning a new set which focuses on the renewel of your Nervous System and build Stamina. This was one of the more challenging sets I have learned to date, but it was sooooo cool! We went through a couple of poses that were quite difficult and hard to sustain fully. I was pretty light headed after the 2nd one actually, but managed to feel pretty good. We ran 2 more poses which were equally as difficult. At this point we sat in easy pose (the basic pose- sitting Indian Style with a straight spine) and just relaxed. We sat for a couple of minutes and just focused on our bodies and everything that was happening inside. My teacher said, "Some of you might be feeling this Natural High right now." And I'll tell you what, that's exactly what it was. It was so awesome! There was this incredible energy buzzing throughout my body which seemed to originate right at my chest. I felt so at ease and at peace. The best part about it? I felt complete and utter self acceptance of myself. This is something I have never felt before. For the last few of months I have been working on seeing myself more clearly and not believing all the negative thoughts I have poured into myself over the years. It's been a hard process to change. Tonight was the first night where I was completely within myself and liked being there. I didn't want to leave myself to only return back to the dance room my class takes place in. It was truly a neat experience.

After this we had our next pose, which is BY FAR my FAVORITE pose in Kundalini thus far... well... if you can call it a pose. You actually just stand up, with your arms over your head and dance to Bangara music. Oh mann... it was so freakin' cool! We had this sweet eastern music (Which reminded me a lot of The Darjeeling Limited Soundtrack I just bought and love) piping throughout the room, and we just all danced for a good 8 minutes (as it's necessary to do so after we opened up our diaphrams in the set thus far). Your arms had to stay above your head the whole time. And I will admit I had never grooved to sounds of the Bangara (whatever that is)! I had a smile on my face the whole time. I just absolutely loved it!

It's kinda crazy how things all work out. If it were up to me I would have taken a Yoga+Zen class. I'm sure that class would have been fine and I would have really enjoyed it, but I can't believe just how marvelous this Kundalini class has been for me.

We have a similar situation with my nutrition class. My adoration for that class will have to wait for another time because... mann... I just don't even know where to start with it. That class has been such an immense blessing in my life. Love it!

Here is a Kundalini website that breifly explains what it is. There are many websites you can go to if you're interested in learning more about it. I highly recommend checking it out!

No comments: