Monday, August 27, 2007

Life Imitates Art

When Lindsey and I were walking up the street with Billy and a handful of kids, (read about this story here) I was talking to one girl in particular that I love. The 10 year old girl is my next door neighbor named Brianne who is quite possibly the cutest girl I have ever met. The first time I talked to her, her and a friend were selling scented candles as an after school gig. These 2 girls were SO cute! They could have been selling shit and I would have bought it. Literally, I would have bought shit from them. They could have been marketing titanium toothbrushes and I would have ordered a case.
I had an additional run in with her when I came home from work one day. I had just pulled into my driveway when she went riding past me on her bike crying while favoring her right arm that was nestled into her side. She kept crying a mixture between "Ow!" and "Mom!" as she went running in her house. I stayed outside and talked to my dad for a bit, when she came out crying again. Apparently nobody in her family was home. My dad and I offered to help, but she didn't want anything to do with us. I went over and coaxed her into letting me take a look at her. It turns out she had fallen off of her bike and jarred/cut her thumb. I brought her inside, cleaned her up, slapped a band aid on and offered her an Oreo Cookie on her way out. (She declined the cookie even though I could tell she was tempted. I think it was the whole 'strangers with candy' issue that got her. I thought, "What will power! These are double stuffed... DOUBLE STUFFED!) Later that night she came over not once, but twice to thank me. The first was the sweetest thank you note left on my door. The second time I received some candy with a big hug. She is seriously the cutest girl.

Anyway, believe it or not, that wasn't the point of the post. I just got distracted and had to share how wonderful Brianne is. So, we're all walking up the street to take Billy to his bed and breakfast. Brianne and I are talking when I hear her say, "Jessica! Why are you walking?" I look to see a teenage girl sauntering in the middle of the street. She had just immerged from the dark and was walking directly underneath a half-assed-lit street lamp. She was wearing her tight revealing clothes (as so many teenage girls do) with very high heels that almost equaled the hight of her puffed hair atop her head that gathered in back to form a ponytail. She didn't aknowledge Brianne in the slightest. Instead she just kept at her slow steady pace as she cluthed her purse in one hand and took a drag from her cigarette. Brianne then said, "That's my sister. She's 18."

Oh mann, it was seriously a scene right out of a movie! All we needed was to see the dead beat loser of a boyfriend drop her off at the top of the street in his POS-barely running-Transam that he loves so much. What a beautifully scripted scene. Then we would see the dad in the front yard telling the rebellious daughter to cover up her belly mere seconds before she flips him off. And.... scene!

Not gonna lie, it was pretty entertaining to me. Enough so, that I wrote this post about it.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

"Why are you walking?" Ha! That's cute. You know, between our lives chronicalled in blog form and our hidden genius, we could have a movie scripted and sold in no time. But you, of course, have more important things to do, like becoming the neighborhood animal watch and stuff.