Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Getting Acquainted

Amsterdam has picked up during the last couple of days.

I went to the Van Gogh Museum which is nothing short of spectacular! I wish I could fully describe the feeling that was there as I looked at all of his masterpieces, but alas, it's just not possible. It has truly been a gift to stand in front of such works of art and experience the connection between myself and these expressions. I really am speechless when it comes to Van Gogh. I. Loved. It.

I also had the most wonderful experience of seeing the Anne Frank house. We were told we couldn't go inside, but this was a filthy lie it turns out. Going into the annex was one of the most brilliant things I have ever witnessed and would recommend everyone make a trip to feel it for yourselves. The air is so thick and somber and the public moved with a reverence as we filtered in and out of the empty rooms. What a horrific feeling to see the windows blacked out by fabric with only a dim light shining from the ceiling. One can only imagine the horrors of cabin fever as you watch your people being lead away to their torments. It was a memorable experience, one I shall never forget. (Hope this works.)

We spent today at the Rjiksmuseum which was full of many gorgeous things. Too many to convey at the moment. It has indeed been quite the time seeing such masterpieces. 

On a closing note, I'm still not all about Amsterdam. I hate walking into clouds of Pot smoke and I have never had so many people snap at me and treat me so rudely in all my life. Don't get me wrong, of course, there are many people here that have been very pleasant and more than nice, but for the most part.... ick! :) 

I look forward to my last day in Amsterdam as we leave to Prague tomorrow. I would like to say farewell to his fair city with a little quote from Austin Powers: Goldmember, which I did not truly understand until this weekend. After spending time here, I find it to be incredibly real.

There are two things I hate most in this world: People intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch!

No comments: