Monday, January 7, 2008

World Religion

I had my first class for the Spring 2008 Semester tonight. It should be an interesting class. I'm hoping to keep it, but we'll see how everything plays out.

My teacher cracks me up. His name is Mike Wilson, he turns 37 on Wednesday and is feeling old. He is currently attending the U for his PH.D, and since he doesn't have it yet, we can't accurately call him, "Dr. Wilson" because it makes him, "Feel bad and worthless." So he gave like a 10 minute opening on how he would prefer that we call him Mike, but if it's ABSOLUTELY necessary we can call him Mr. Wilson... which he winced at when he said it. He resembles an Andre Agassi with more of a baseball/basketball player build. He has the voice of Breckin Meyer and... he pretty much just cracks me up. When he lectures, he paces back and forth, not really making eye contact with anyone, while he strokes his bald head. He'll be deep in thought, then out of nowhere say something completely unrelated and funny. Which I enjoy. It's a nice way to cleanse the pallet so to speak when dealing with a 2 hour and 40 minute night lecture class.

He was pacing back and forth asking how one could accurately describe what constitutes as a religion. Out of nowhere he says, "I have to sit down. I just got the worst cramp in my foot." He collapses into his chair then proceeds to wine, "I have had a s-h-i-t-t-y day today." (and yes, he spelt it.) He said how he had a "cartoon slip" on the ice today, and as he was falling down he could see how his feet were up over his head. He came into class today and introduced himself to the 4-5 kids in class then went to the bathroom, only to find his zipper had been down all day. "I haven't gone to the bathroom since this morning" he began, "So my fly has been down while I was walking around campus, while I took a 35 minute track ride through town, and when I greeted my new students for the first time."

He asked if there were any movie buffs in class. I half raised my hand and he asked if i've heard of Derek Jarom. Which I had not. He said he's a crazy director that makes freaky shows and did a movie on Wittgenstein (Named after the famous Philosopher). He said if we like freaky movies and acid we would love it. I busted up laughing! and i'm so gonna rent that movie.

Anyway, I'm excited about the class and enjoy Mike. I always do better with a teacher that I like and entertains me because I, 1) tend to listen more intently and 2) Don't want them to think I'm an idiot so I study just a little bit harder to impress them. The only thing I'm worried about in this class is all the politically correct stuff. I swear he spent 1/8 of his time expressing he wasn't endorsing these thoughts or beliefs and doesn't want to offend anyone. Blah blah blah. Dude, if you're offended when someone talks about Hinduism or Evolution... you shouldn't be in this class. But yeah, I think I'll enjoy it.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

To Do Today:
-Procure acid.
-Rent Wittgenstein.
-Trip.

Glad you liked your class!

Carrie said...

UPDATE: Netflix doesn't carry Wittgenstein. I don't think that we should have to live in a world where Netflix doesn't carry Wittgenstein. What am I supposed to do with all this acid NOW?