Monday, February 4, 2008

...

I'm just sitting here minding my own, plugging away at work when down the way from me I hear a loud beep. Then an automated voice that says, "Call for help now." "Remove all clothing."

Silence. What was that? I look around sheepishly. In a mere 15 seconds I hear a repeat. "Remove all clothing. Pull red lever." What tha?

It sounded like a recording played on a speaker phone. My question however is... what kind of trouble could you possibly get into where you are instructed to "remove all clothing" from an automated system? I could see if you fall through ice into a river and need to warm up and treat hypothermia... but seriously... what was up with that message? Why was somebody listening to it on speaker phone?

It reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons. Bart thinks Flanders has killed Mod and will soon kill Lisa when he finds her snooping around his house in this delightful parody of Rear Window. Bart calls the police and he hears an automated menu, "If you know the name of the felony being committed press 1 now." Bart gets impatient and just starts pressing buttons. "You have selected Regicide. If you know the name of King or Queen being murdered, press 1 now."

I seriously think someone at my office just called an automated police line with inquiries about hypothermia. Is there any other logical explanation anyone?

WAIT! ... Do you have to remove clothing in order to use a defibrillator? That's probably it... At least, I sure hope so. I don't want some robotic woman instructing me to remove my clothing if I have a toothache... Or do I?

2 comments:

Kristen said...

That or it's some kind of reeeeeeally twisted 1-900 number.

Carrie said...

LOL. I believe I know the real answer to this mystery, but trust me, it's not as funny as the strange things you think up yourself! So I'm gonna keep my lips sealed... you'll find out one of these days!